Monday, May 13, 2013

A Walk Through the Garden and Some Thoughts on My Daughter's Growing Independence

I'm currently participating int the most amazing photography workshop with Val Spring of The Red Balloon Photography. It's been amazingly inspiring and I feel like I'm learning so much.  I had an assignment due for this workshop, so I decided that Scarlett and I would take a photography field trip.  We walked up the street to the Monastery turned Museum and I let her explore the gardens while I photographed.  The whole time I was observing her I was struck by how independent she's getting. This week, after months of crying before going to preschool and holding me as tight as possible, she walked right in the door without so much as a goodbye. Then, instead of wanting to snuggle with me when we read books at night she pulled up her own chair next to mine. I'm so happy that she's finding her inner strength, especially after the struggle of not only moving houses, but also continents, but it also breaks my heart a little bit to not be needed quite so much. While photographing her for this assignment I followed her around trying not to inhibit where she wanted to go. I felt like she was letting me in on her adventure, but only as an observer, not as an active participant like herself. She was so focused and so on her own, but then it happened. Something she thought would be fun, ended up scaring her. She ran for me and then for her favorite dolls, Jessie and Sleeping Beauty, that I always have on hand. And that's when I saw it. Yes, she's growing up quickly and is facing the world more and more on her own, but at least for now, she still needs me close at hand...along with Jessie and Sleeping Beauty.












No comments:

Post a Comment